Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tinto de Verano/Red of Summer (a Spanish wine cocktail, much like sangria)

Where did the summer go?  Though the weather in Cádiz brims of comfortably warm days that melt into just a hint of evening cool where a jacket is optional, the summer appears to be slipping further and further away like the end-of-the-week glimpse of a favorite beach house rental as seen from the rearview mirror.  A sensation which, for the moment, causes me to pause and ponder the question:  What did you do over the summer?  Such a simple question, yet I find I want my responses to be more profound, more meaningful than they really are, like I actually DID something worthwhile to help change the world in a positive way somehow.  In the end, I really just had fun this summer, kind of like when that was all that was expected of me when I was a kid.  Really, I can think of worse predicaments to be in. 

And so here it is, my list of what I did this summer, by yours truly:

1. I fell in love.  Once or twice, at least.
2. I cut my hair.  A woman knows when it´s time.  It was.
3. I traveled to a part of the world I´d never dreamed I´d get to know.  Four countries in East Africa, each one teaching me something exciting, haunting and new about humanity and about myself.
4. I officially dropped out of my grad school program, though I absolutely accomplished the two main goals I had set for myself in coming here for an immersion experience:  to learn to speak Spanish and to experience the Spanish culture.
5. I discovered a renewed passion for my old day job, though I´m learning that perhaps part-time work is more suited to me.
6. I smoked a little, I drank a lot.  Always in good company, even if I just felt like enjoying a cold one on my own.
7. I did not finish reading any one book in particular.
8. I golfed for the first time in over three years.
9. I lost myself in Venice.
10. I had fun.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have done a lot in this summer. I"m proud of you and happy for your advancement and changes.

    ReplyDelete